If you’re tired of paying ridiculous airport parking rates (even in the economy lot) but don’t want to inconvenience family or friends to take you to the airport, we’ve got an easy and economical solution:
Book a cheap airport shuttle or private car service.
Airport shuttles provide reliable, safe and convenient transportation to and from the airport. Read on to find out how this airport parking alternative can save you money while making your travel day much less stressful.
Short on time right now? Quickly check rates at your airport with our preferred shuttle provider.
How do airport shuttle services work?
Most airport shuttle providers offer two basic services – shared ride and private vehicles.
The most popular and affordable option is the shared ride shuttle where travelers going to the same airport save money by riding together. These vehicles are usually vans or late-model SUVs and the driver may make several stops along the way to pick up fellow travelers.
The private car service is a more luxury experience with a dedicated chauffeur transporting just you (or you and your travel partners) directly to the airport, usually via a high-end sedan, SUV or limo. At some locations, private van service also is available, which is handy if you’re traveling with golf clubs or other large pieces of luggage.
Private airport transportation tends to be more expensive, but if you have a group of three or more, it could price out to be about the same or just slightly more than the shared-ride option. It’s definitely worth running a quick comparison.
It’s simple to find out how much a shared ride or private car service will cost at your airport
Top reasons to use an airport transportation service
These are the main reasons we recommend using an airport shuttle instead of parking at the airport:
- It’s fast and easy to check rates online and choose a vehicle that best suits your needs and your budget
- You can pre-book well in advance of your travel day so there’s one less thing to worry about in the busy days leading up to your trip
- Unlike most taxis or ride-hailing services, with the provider we recommend, your fee is set up front and there is never any surge pricing
- It’s a snap to select exactly when and where you want to be picked up for your ride to the airport (and dropped off upon your return). Examples include your home, office, hotel or school/university.
- The driver drops you off right at your terminal and will help you with your luggage. They same applies when you fly back into the airport.
- Drivers are professional, have had background checks and are safety trained. They’re also required to carry liability insurance coverage.
- You can make one-way, roundtrip or multi-leg advance reservations. Super convenient!
Which travelers benefit most when they book a shuttle to the airport in lieu of a parking on site?
This airport parking savings strategy is particularly appealing if you:
- Prefer to leave your car at home when you travel instead of in the airport parking lot
- Like the idea of making an advanced reservation at a specific time for your pickup/drop off at the airport
- Are traveling with multiple family members, in a business group or with a lot of luggage
- Don’t want to inconvenience family or friends to take you to and pick you up from the airport. (This is particularly appealing if you live far away from your airport, if you have late night or early morning flights or if the traffic around your airport is horrendous.)
- You like the idea of knowing EXACTLY how much the ride is going to cost in advance (unlike when you use a taxi or companies like Uber)
- It’s important that you have your airport transportation arrangements made in advance to reduce stress and anxiety at the airport
- If you’re traveling with heavy luggage or other items that you appreciate assistance with such as trade show displays, large musical instruments or golf clubs. The shuttle driver takes you straight to your terminal and will help you with your bags.
- If you’re not in a hurry and don’t mind making several stops with the shared ride option, which can dramatically reduce your fees.
How to easily compare costs and book an airport shuttle online
Booking an airport shuttle reservation online is super simple:
- Visit our preferred shuttle provider and choose whether you’re traveling to or from the airport. (If you need both, click “TO” and you’ll be able to choose roundtrip or multi-leg options.)
- From the dropdown menu, select your airport from the list of more than 90 major airports worldwide, then add your flight dates and times
- Add the address of where you’d like to be picked up (if you’re going to the airport) or dropped off (if you’re flying back in)
- Punch in the total number of passengers and click “continue” to see each of your ride options and their costs
- Choose the option that best meets your needs and budget and then click continue. On the subsequent pages, you’ll fill in some additional information and enter your payment information.
More handy airport shuttle service information:
- Curious how much airport shuttle drivers make and if you should tip them? Read this ‘on-shuttle’ interview with an 18-year veteran driver.
- Flying with children? Get tips here on traveling with carseats for your little ones.
- Learn the main advantages of booking at a private parking lot just off airport grounds
- Find out how to save by staying at an airport hotel that offers free parking
- How to use Groupon to find deals on off-site parking, private transportation and other travel needs (and fun stuff!)
- The secret to eliminating airport parking (and saving money) with an ingenious car rental strategy
Find your airport from our list of 130 in the U.S. and Canada to read the specific pros and cons of each of our tips for saving on airport parking.